SEC-17a-4 (17 CFR § 240.17a-4 - Records to be preserved by certain exchange members, brokers and dealers.) is a US regulatory related to the records preservation.
The main areas are related to secured storage, retention management, change and deletion prevention, legal hold, and audit trail.
For the record documents storage, we will use Amazon S3 capabilities with a bucket with the following parameters:
- Versioning turned on
- Compliance mode turned on
- No default retention in the bucket (or default retention as 0)
An event based retention allows to define a retention period to start after a defined event. Most of the time, the date of the event is unknown at time of retention application of the document.
The events can be very different depending on the organization, document type, region...
A list of real examples of event based retention are available here:
- As a record manager, I want to have a user friendly way to create an event, so that I can trigger the retention period start for a given document or a list of documents.
- I can select the event type among a predefined list of event types (ex: employee leaving the company, contract terminated)
- I can fill a value to link the event to a given document (ex: employee ID, contract number)
- As a developer, I want to add an automation chain/scripting to create an event, so that I can automate the event when it's relevant